Poker is one of the most exciting and popular card games. It combines both skill and strategy. That is why learning how to play poker online is very important before you can get started. Luckily for you, our casino experts have dedicated this guide to assist you with the best knowledge on how to approach the game of poker. We are confident that after reading this guide you will know how to play general poker games successfully. Our experts have also provided the best poker sites in New Zealand to play your favorite poker games. Popular variants that you will find there include; Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Seven Card Stud, Pai Gow, Draw Poker, Carribean Stud, and a whole lot more.
At the end of our guide, you will also be provided with a list of other guides and strategies to help you win big when playing the game of poker online. To get started on how to play poker like a pro, simply browse through our quick guide below!
BEST POKER SITES IN NEW ZEALAND
1150+ games & 98.2% Payout
Leo Vegas Casino Review
1000+ games & 97% Payout
Jackpot City Casino Review
1600+ games & 98.2% Payout
Royal Vegas Casino Review
1100+ games & 98.2% Payout
All Slots Casino Review
500+ games & 98% Payout
River Belle Casino Review
600+ games & 95% Payout
Mummy's Gold Casino Review
HOW TO PLAY POKER STEP BY STEP
Poker is one of the most popular card games in the world. This can be seen with the prestigious poker tournaments which take place every year, and the amounts wagered at online poker sites everyday. Poker online is a game of many variants, and truth be told – each one of them is fun and rewarding to play.
The best way to start would be to learn about the general poker hands and rules. More so, the game of poker requires one to focus. You can get started by following these quick and easy steps:
- Step 1: Choose Your Favorite Poker Game – the most popular variants among NZ players are Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Pai Gow, Caribbean poker and stud poker. You can try out these poker games for free before you can bet for real money.
- Step 2: Place Bets – once you’ve selected your favorite poker game, you can then place your bets. Some variants may require you to place both a normal and side bet.
- Step 3: Get Your Cards – the dealer will deal your cards using a standard 52-card deck. The cards are ranked from high to low; K, Q, J, 10-8, Ace. In the game of poker, the ace can be high or low, and all suits rank equally.
- Step 4: Play Your Hand – once your five cards are dealt, you will have an option to either call, fold or match depending on the bets that are made.
- Step 5: Showdown, Get Your Winnings – the final round of the poker game is called a showdown, this is where all hands are revealed, and the highest one wins the game. Note that some variants will force you to show one card before this round. Unless stated otherwise, don’t reveal your cards.
POKER FOR BEGINNERS: WHAT’S WHAT?
There are terms that you will see on your screen when playing poker online, and we feel that it’s important that you understand what each one of them means in order to play poker well.
- Ante – a bet which players contribute to the seed pot. Games such as hold’em refer to these as “blinds”.
- Bet – placing your wager.
- Call/match/raise – to match a bet or raise.
- Check – choosing not to bet until the next round.
- Come Hand – a drawing hand.
- Equity – rightful share of a poker pot.
- Fold – leaving the game.
- Flop – first three cards dealt face up after a player’s hand.
- River – the fifth or last card to be dealt.
- Hit – a card that helps your poker hand.
- Under the gun – the position for the player to act first on a betting round.
POKER HAND RANKINGS: HOW TO PLAY POKER LIKE A PRO
Below is how the different poker hands are ranked from highest to lowest:
- Royal Flush – J, K, Q, Ten and Ace all of the same suit.
- Straight Flush – five cards of the same suit in a sequence.
- Four-of-a-Kind – any four cards matching numerically.
- Full House – a pair and three-of-a-kind in the same hand
- Flush – similar to the straight flush but the cards are in any order.
- Straight – five cards of any suit in the same order.
- Three-of-a-Kind – any three cards matching numerically.
- Two Pair – a hand with two different pairs.
- One Pair – a hand with two numerical matching cards.
- High Card – highest ranking card in your hand with number 2 being the lowest and Ace the highest.
PRO TIPS: HOW TO PLAY POKER ONLINE AND WIN
Poker is a table game that’s full of action regardless of whether you’re playing at land-based or internet-based sites. Online, however, you will find great bonuses to get started and the opportunity to win big amounts of cash whether you’re playing poker with friends or competing in a poker tournament.
To get started. you will need to join our highly recommended poker rooms featured on the list above. Improve your gaming skill by playing free poker games first and try out the different variations available. We also provide you with winning strategies for the best gambling experience!